Monday, November 20, 2006

Do I want a broken heart?

Hello dear friends and family! Thank you again for coming to my blog and reading this. I pray that as you continue to come and read that your relationship with Christ has been strengthened and will continue to be strengthened. I pray that you will have a better view of who Christ is and how He works. With that in mind, I submit to you another quote!


"But if God chooses quite another lot for you, you may be sure that He sees that you need something totally different from what you want. You said just now that you would gladly go through any trial in order to attain a personal love for Christ that should become the ruling principle of your life. Now as soon as God sees this desire in you, is He not King, is He not wise in appointing such trials as He knows will lead to this end?"
~Elizabeth Prentiss, "Stepping Heavenward."

Perhaps you never struggle with what God brings into your life to answer your prayers for a closer relationship with Him. Perhaps the trials He brings to give you a greater desire for Him are something that you don't ever question. But I do at times, many times. Praying for a desire for Christ to take over your life and longing for it are "easily" prayed for. I don't mean to say that it's always easy to pray that way and mean it, because it's not, but it's easier to pray it than to accept the way God brings it about in your life. My mind goes back to the trials in the past. What things have I had to let go? What things did I have to leave behind in the world to reach for Christ? How many times must my heart be broken? And as I think back to the things the Lord has taken and of the all satisfying love for Him He has given me in place of those things, I wonder how I could have ever wanted to keep holding on to such shallow things. Always remember, Christ does everything for our good and to work out His perfect plan. If we pray and ask Him for a desire and all consuming love for Him, let us be ready to give whatever He asks for. Let us let go without hesitation, even if it means heartbreak. Let go and let God heal your broken heart and answer your prayer! If we ask Him for the things He wants, He will answer our prayers, but we have to be willing to accept whatever He brings in order to bring us to that end! Let us also remember, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart -- These, O God, You will not despise" (Psalm 51:17). If God has truly created us (and our hearts) can He not bring the things He knows will bring us where we need to be and mend our broken hearts the way He knows how? So in answer to the title question, "Do I want a broken heart?" If it leads me closer to Christ and gives me an all satisfying love for Him, then yes! Let us trust Him and readily give to Him anything He asks of us, even a broken heart!

No comments: