Sunday, November 05, 2006

Read, don't sing!

Hello everyone, I pray you had a wonderful Sunday and a wonderful time of fellowshipping, praising and worshiping the Lord with brothers and sisters in Christ! I did!
I have something to share with you today that has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm going to share a song with you, an old song, some of you have known this forever, almost. :) But I want you to simply read it and apply it, don't sing the tune in your head as you read through the verses. Read, apply and think about the words!

Spirit of God, Descend upon My Heart

1.) Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth, through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

2.) Hast Thou not bid us love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind;
I see Thy cross -- there teach my heart to cling:
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find.

3.) Teach me to know that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear,
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

4.) Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame;
The baptism of the heaven-descended Dove,
My heart an alter, and Thy love the flame.

~George Croly


How many of us can truly pray that and desire it the way we should? I've often read it over and simply prayed as I read. Because a lot of my desire is in this song. Perhaps we don't talk that way anymore, but shouldn't our desires still be the same as in the song whether we talk that way or not? I just had to share this one with you, it has been such a conviction to me and I hope and pray that as you read, and perhaps sing this song, that you would indeed desire and pray for the things it talks about and that as a result of praying thus you would grow closer to the Saviour and King! Also, try this on other songs, don't just mindlessly sing the songs because you know the tune, think about what you're singing every time you sing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder to THINK through what we are singing. Thanks so much for the encouragement that this has been to me already! I look forward to reading more great posts!!
Praying for you!
Danny