Thursday, October 09, 2008

Keys to help you wait

My Dad just bought me the book 'Before You Meet Prince Charming' by Sarah Mally of Bright Lights. It was recommended on a blog that has since been closed. I have only read the first five or six chapters (well, actually that makes me about half way through :)) but I LOVE it. I highly recommend this book to any one waiting for their "prince charming". Sarah Mally has a wonderful focus on Christ in this book and it is a wonderful encouragment. But as I was reading through I came across a list she gave of keys to help you wait and I was so encouraged that I had to share it with you, and this list can also be used not just for waiting for your furture mate but anything the Lord has called you to wait for.


Keys to Help You Wait

  • Give up your dreams and expectations. Actually, you don't have to give them up; but rather, exchanged them. Exchange your dreams for something far better -- God's perfect plan. Choose to will what God wills (Mt. 10:39).
  • Stop. Be still and know that He is God. Consider the awesome power of the God that you serve. What seems impossible to you is nothing for Him. Be still and watch Him work (Ps. 46:10).
  • Get out a sheet of paper and begin to list the benefits that you are experiencing through this time of waiting. Don't just make a list in your head. It is helpful to actually write out the benefits. Don't stop until you have at least ten benefits on your list.
  • Rejoice in this time of waiting. I know it is hard. It's hard for me too. As I mentionted, waiting is one of the most difficult things God asks us to do. Sometimes it feels like you just can't wait any longer. But struggles and trials are important parts of our lives. Scripture commands us to rejoice in these times of trials (Jas. 1:2, 1Pet. 4:12-13).
  • Redirect your focus. Don't focus on the waiting; focus on the Lord.
  • In the little events of daily life, learn to look to the Lord to supply your needs and carry your burdens. Have the attitude of David who prayed, "On Thee do I wait all the day ... My soul, wait thou upon God; for my expectation is from Him" (Ps. 25:5, 62:5).

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Excellent quote, Ana. How important it is that we keep our focus on Jesus Christ as single young ladies.
I have not read "Before You Meet Prince Charming" but I've heard from several people that it is very good. Have you read "His Chosen Bride" by Jennifer Lamp?

Ana said...

Melanie~
Yes, it was a very convicting reminder to me to keep my focus on Christ in this time that He has set for me to wait.

I would highly recommend reading "Before You Meet Prince Charming".

No, I haven't read "His Chosen Bride". I have heard of it before, but I can't remember if it was good or not. Have you read it? What do you think of it if you have?

Melanie said...

Yes, I have read "His Chosen Bride"-- it is VERY good! It takes each phrase in the section of Proverbs 31 that talks about the virtuous woman, and applies it to single girls serving Christ. I love it!!
I will keep an eye out for "Before You Meet Prince Charming". It sounds great!

Shelly said...

Ana, I am so glad you are enjoying this new book. The tips to help you wait that you shared really apply to everyone waiting for something. As I read them I realized that even an old married woman like me could benefit from each of them. What wonderful lessons to learn, thanks for sharing!

Ana said...

Melanie~
Good to know that "His Chosen Bride" is good. I love learning about new good books, I'll have to look for that one!

Shelly~
I know, this list doesn't apply only to singles but to every area of life. I was just so encouraged by it.

Anonymous said...

1234567890987654321

Ana said...

Okay then ... Ahhhhh, thank you Ethan. :)