Monday, April 16, 2007

~::~ Quote ~::~

"We knew our Guide, and had experienced His clear direction at every point thus far. we knew, too, that He leads "in a way that they know not." Indeed, what need had we for a guide, were the path a familiar one? So we set ourselves to pray, well knowing the difficulty of discerning God's will where our own wishes were so strong. Often the prayer written by Nathan Brown of Burma was ours:

"And shall I pray Thee change Thy will, my Father,
Until it be according unto mine?
But no, Lord, no; that never shall be, rather
I pray Thee, blend my human will with Thine.

"I pray Thee hush the hurrying, eager longing,
I pray Thee, soothe the pangs of keen desire,
See in my quiet places wishes thronging --
Forbid them, Lord, purge, though it be with fire.

"And work in me to will and do Thy pleasure,
Let all within me, peaceful, reconciled,
Tarry content my Wellbeloved's leisure
At last, at last, even as a weaned child.""

~Jim Elliot, "Shadow of the Almighty"

1 comment:

Kat said...

Ach! I LOVE this quote SO MUCH.

(The picture is beautiful, too.)

Love you lots, Kate